Friday, July 3, 2009

Well That Stinks

Today, for the first time in my life, I picked up a dead skunk.

Skunks, as I understand them, are not the type of animals that people generally get all that close to when they are alive, let alone when they're dead. Yet I, as it would appear, apparently do not fall in with the general population when it comes to dead animals.

Despite this being the first week that I've been working alone, another officer came to help me out with this particularly stinky situation. There is, you see, more of a technique involved when dealing with the skunks... and then also the corresponding wash-down ritual to be completed afterwards.

Despite the strong smell of skunk as I approached the critter, I was told that he was nothing. The skunk was still intact and his stink sack hadn't ruptured, so comparatively, he was probably the best skunk I'd get.

"If the level of stink intensity from this skunk were to be compared with eating wings, this would be just your starter... very mild"

Well, mild or not, I was still entirely sprayed down with some skunk-off stuff to help kill the smell.

My job makes me feel so glamorous and irresistibly attractive. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Funny story, my students think skunks are adorable and they try to feed the ones walking around the residence area. This will only encourage the animal to spend more time or worse NEST nearby. No matter how much I try to explain the situation to them (Skunk BAD) they don't seem to understand. I guess they don't mind the smell...

    ReplyDelete