Monday, June 29, 2009

And Now For Something Completely Different

So this week I've been working on my own and, on top of road kill, I also do drop-offs/pick-ups from vets and animal hospitals (yes, that's right, I pick up road kill and am also a gopher).

More than just for already dead things, sometimes there are also calls out for almost dead things. Actually, one of the other officers told me a story about when he went to pick up a fairly smushed groundhog --and it turned around and snapped at him.

Anyway, but last week an officer and I got called out to attend to an injured grey cat that was in some lady's back yard. When we got there she was sprawled out in a bush on her stomach, head swaying, pupils dilated, and entirely unable to stand. From what we could tell she'd sustained some sort of brain injury, she definitely had some neurological issues. But because she was only almost dead instead of actually dead, we put her into a carrier and off we went to the vet.

When we got there the vet told us that she was most likely too far gone, she couldn't even regain her balance to lift her head let alone sit or stand.

But today I got a pleasant surprise.

Rather than the usual death that I deal with, I show up to the vet clinic and there she was -the same grey cat we'd brought in last week and she was certainly very much alive.

Despite having told us that she'd most likely be put-down, apparently after we dropped her off the vet reached in to her cage and, although she was barely able to move, she slowly lifted her head ever so slightly and rubbed it against his hand.

--Well that was it, from then he had to save her.

And there she was in my carrier. Biggest blue eyes you've ever seen. Still loopy mind you, there is definitely some lasting brain damage there. But she's so cute with her bad balance and spaciness. Such a sweet cat -and I don't even really like cats all that much.

It was really neat. Everyone thought she was all but dead. She's still got another week of recovery ahead of her, but it was astonishing to see her now compared with when we pulled her out of the bushes.

I guess even lost causes can still surprise you no matter how far gone they seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment