Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Just a Reminder

Life is busy. It's easy to get caught up in it. Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, it's common to forget proper perspective on life. And thus, from time to time, it's important to remind ourselves of who we are and where we came from no matter where life takes us.

For example, I went to university for 5 years, and worked pretty darn hard while I was there, in order to get a job that would allow me to apply what I've learned and do something I enjoy. Makes sense right? However, pre-degree-me didn't really expect to be crawling around on a deck on my hands and knees looking for a decaying squirrel. We couldn't find it anywhere --it was supposed to be under a loose board but, as much as we looked, there was no sign of the squirrel. And so, I found myself having the following conversation with the officer I was working with:

-I can't see it anywhere.
-It's gotta be somewhere, you can smell the dead.
-Oh I know, and I can see maggots so it's definitely around.
-Ew...
-Wait, I think the maggots are the squirrel...

...and so, with long tongs, the officer I was with pulled out a squirrel-sized wriggling mass of slithering maggots (with a small tuff of fur poking out at the end). Nice eh?

Anyway, at the end of the day we were responding to a call about a squirrel that a woman found in her garbage can. We got to the house and saw a can with a note taped to it "Not for more garbage. Humane Society is coming for the dead squiral inside!"

So I open the lid to see a black squirrel, belly up, and maggots squirming from its middle. I took a breath and reached in, garbage bag over my gloved hand, and grabbed the smelly little critter as I winced, looked away, and exclaimed "I AM AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TEACHER!!"

This was, of course, just in time for the woman homeowner to come outside and hear me.

1 comment:

  1. eeew..

    at least you get interesting stories like these to tell, though?

    ReplyDelete