Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My Sense of Normal Is Severly Distorted

It was 11 o'clock and all was well.

Two hours on the job and I hadn't touched anything dead yet. I'd brought some animals to the vet and had started to learn how to do some computer task related to dog licensing.

11:30 -A call for a dead squirrel; yet I arrive and it's nowhere to be found.

11:35 -A thought: Oh my goodness. What if this keeps up until noon? Maybe I could actually pass an entire Wednesday morning without touching anything dead. (Not a thought that likely crosses many people's mind mid-work-week, the fact that not touching dead things is abnormal. But then again, I've never really considered my sense of normalcy to be all that common -and this job really hasn't help change that.)

11:45 -A call for a dead opossum; my plan is beginning to deflate. It's okay, I think to myself, maybe if I drive there slowly it'll be after noon, or it'll be missing when I arrive again...

Fat chance.

This opossum made up for the fact that I hadn't touched anything else all morning.

He was fresh. Really fresh. Meaning, the blood is still pretty runny and bright red... then he went and had his head smashed in, so brains were all over the place... gross right? I mean, really gross. True, but oddly its nothing I haven't seen before. It wouldn't have been a problem, but then to top it all off the little bugger went and shat himself.

POO EVERYWHERE

He was double bagged.

I was not impressed.

I got back into my van at 11:58.

No comments:

Post a Comment