Monday, July 6, 2009

Today's Lesson

Scenario: Two injured birds with broken legs confined to a box on an apartment balcony.

Plan: Go to apartment balcony, retrieve injured birds.

Reality: Alright, so really, apparently, "there are two injured birds with broken legs in a box on my balcony" actually means "I have two pigeons loose on my balcony".

So I get there and the two pigeons are frantically walking around. This, as I explain to her, is probably a sign that their legs are not, in fact, broken. Also, there is no box in sight.

I pick them each up and neither have any injuries that I can find. So I tell the lady that the birds are actually completely fine... yet she seems less than impressed.

"But they are pooping everywhere."
"Yep! Birds will do that."
"...So you're not going to do anything about the poop?"
"Sorry ma'am... no."
"But I called you here. I called you here and you're just going to leave the poop and everything?!"
"I... um... sorry ma'am, you cannot call the Humane Society to come to your apartment and clean up pigeon poop. That's not a part of what we do."
".... but... there's poop everywhere"
"Yes ma'am. But... it's not my responsibility to clean up your pigeon poop... sorry"

She was really quite unimpressed. But seriously... did this woman honestly think that the Humane Society would come to her house and clean up pigeon poop?!

Upon sharing this story with another officer, today's quote of the day was discovered:
"Well... you don't exactly have a classroom teaching job, but you're still teaching... one village idiot at a time..."

No comments:

Post a Comment