Wednesday, August 19, 2009

So Generous

Today I had a ride-along.

One of the girls on a co-op position from college had been working in the back with the Animal Care Staff but this morning they decided to send her along with me to see another aspect of what the Humane Society takes care of.

Apparently today was the day for dead raccoons, we had about five, but it was nice to have someone to chat with. Usually my other passengers are so quiet.

I teased her saying that she'd have to pick something up, as I did with another ride-along that I had in the past, but I didn't actually expect her to do it. But after watching me pick up a few raccoons I asked her if she wanted to get the next one and she said she would... except when we got there this raccoon was teeming with maggots... especially crawling out the eye sockets and inside the mouth.

I told her she didn't have to get it and at the very least offered to get her the shovel -but after a few deep breathes she stooped and scooped that stinker right up.

Most of it anyway, a bit of it's face fell off but I picked that up for her.

I was impressed! Far be it from me to horde all the exciting stories for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment